The Rotary Club of Nanaimo Oceanside has donated over $800,000 to projects and groups in our community.
- VIU library, special collections room
- Haven House
- Hospice House
- Nanaimo Ladysmith schools foundation – student support fund(formerly Principal’s chequebook), and community school breakfast & lunch programs
- Military Museum, Rotary room
- VIU endowment funds – in honour of Dianne Caillet, Diane Goldsbury and Alex Marriott. Also for support of VI Raiders and VIU foundation
International Projects and Visits
- Through the 5 club alliance of International funding and the Mid Island International Group ( MIG) involvement our club has contributed to projects all over the world, latrines and wash station in Mexico, chicken farms in Peru, wells in Kenya, community gardens project in India, stoves in Guatemala, Dengue Fever prevention program in Belize, women’s economic empowerment in Nicaragua, these are only a few.
- Our club recently took the lead position in acquiring funding for Malaria nets and training in Sunyani Ghana, club members Bev Hilton and Christine Blouin were part of a Rotary trip May 2013. We have been involved in several projects in Ghana.
- annual contributions to Shelterbox for the distributions of Shelterbox tents during times of disaster
- The Rotary Field house on 3rd street is a Community building providing safe and healthy public facilities to users of the area sporting fields. Our most recent legacy-project, the Field house provides washroom and change room facilities, a concession, and a community multi-purpose room large enough to host meetings, celebrations, workshops and other events. Primarily, the facility is to be used by youth and youth sport teams, with it’s multi-purpose room accessible by the general community.
- 2013 our Rotary club sponsored Alex Dawley as Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholar for District 5020, for this prestigious scholarship Alex received $15,000 from the District and upon being accepted to University of Sussex in Brighton, UK she applied for and was granted a further $15,000. When Alex has completed her studies in Brighton, she may request sponsorship to obtain Rotary Peace Fellowship and study in 1 of only 6 universities in the world. She will help change the world.
Below is a list of many of the programs that we have supported
|Breast Cancer Research Foundation – In honor of Dianne Caillet
Breast Cancer Research Foundation – In memory of Diane Goldsbury
Malaspina University-College – Foundation Endowment
Addition Mal U endowment – In honor of Dianne Caillet
Addition Mal U endowment – – Endowment for VI Raiders player
Malaspina University Library – Special Collections Room
John Barsby – Breakfast Program
Nanaimo Schools Financial Aid Society Bursary (to date)
Rotary Field house
Annual Xmas Toy Run (to date)
Misc School Programs
RCMP D.R.I.V.E program
1st Rutherford Beavers/Cubs
Nanaimo Womens Resource Society
Junvenile Diabetes Research
Child Development Center
Tour de Rock
Malaspina University “keys to success”
Nanaimo Community Hospice
Island Christian Care Society
Nanaimo & District Hospital Foundation
Zajac Ranch for Disabled Children
Nanaimo Unique Kids Organization
Nanaimo ADDICTION foundation
Empowering Hands – Raise a Reader
Hospital Foundation Palliative Care Unit
John Barsby Changes Program
Nanaimo Ladysmith Schools Foundation “Principals Cheque Book”
Kids Help Phone
Loaves & Fishes
Nanaimo Young Professionals (in Blair McKinnon’s memory)
Rotary Club of Winnipeg – Rotary Centennial Project
Rotary International Youth Exchange programs
Oceanside Rotary has also contributed over
$5000 (sound system for Caledonia Park)
$1500 or more annually
$20,000 to international programs
Oceanside Rotary has contributed over $20,000 to international programs.
- Rotary Field House – A sports clubhouse for teams and community groups to gather.
- Rotary Playing Field – sport fields for community teams use
- Malaspina University College Library Legacy Fund – $20,000 donation
- John Barsby High School lunch program – annual donation to cover the cost of lunches for all children attending school
- Clean Water project in Zimbabwe, Africa
- School Sponsorship in Zimbabwe – Africa to purchase school supplies and cover costs for attending school, tuitions.
- Hurricane Relief Effort – Funding provided to Rotary Club in South America
- Roto Plast – funding surgery for cleft palates
- Breast Cancer Research
- Inoculations for the eradication of polio throughout South America
- Prenatal Care Training for nursing students in South America
- Endowment Fund for Malaspina University College students
- Scholarship for a local apprenticeship at Malaspina University College
- Financial donations to the Nanaimo Child Development Centre
- Participation in funding the construction of the Northfield Road Rest Area
- Annual sponsorship of Youth Exchange Students studying abroad for one year sending four to five students out and receiving and hosting 4 students each year.
- Supporting various charities and food banks within the community